- Prioritises on student learning in a personal environment.
- Encourages students to participate in the learning experience through participation in the classroom, research, seminars, and community engagement.
- Encourages both students and staff to undertake professional development opportunities that make educational excellence possible.
- Values the contributions of the staff and students to applied mathematics through publications, presentations, and other methods of intellectual dissemination and strongly encourages their continued efforts in these endeavours.
- Values the contributions of its members in terms of service to the Department, the Faculty, the University and the discipline.