It is a University requirement that students go on industrial attachment during their third Year. The main reason is so that students will be enabled to apply the theory learnt at NUST to real life problems in industry.
The Department has a working relationship with a lot of companies and institutions which map different career paths for students. The industries where students are usually attached include:
- The food industry (brewing, baking, dairy etc)
- Pharmaceutical (Quality control departments of major pharmaceutical firms)
- Agricultural (seed production houses, feed manufacturers, egg and chicken industries)
- Medical (Laboratories at diagnostic and medical centres)
- Veterinary laboratories (Government central veterinary laboratories and those of sister tertiary institutions)
- Research institutions (The Scientific and Industrial Research Centre, Grasslands Research Station, sister tertiary institutions).