VACANCY NOTICE: VICE-CHANCELLOR
- National University of Science and Technology (NUST) is a state university in Zimbabwe established in 1991 whose mandate is to advance knowledge specializing in STEM education and practice. To achieve its mission and strategic goals NUST seeks to fill the position of Vice-Chancellor. The University campus is located in the city of Bulawayo.
- The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of the University whose mandate is to provide institutional leadership and oversight, develop and drive the vision, mission, strategy and act as the chief advocate, and principal ambassador of the University. He or she reports to the University Council.
The candidate should possess the following key competencies:
- Be a visionary leader with the skills to interpret and implement the University’s STEM mandate within the broader context of the national agenda;
- Be a holder of an earned Doctorate Degree in a STEM discipline from a recognized University, a Full or Associate Professorship would be an advantage;
- Be an accomplished Higher Education Administrator with a proven track record for creating a technological, innovative learning, teaching and research environment to produce high end skills;
- Have at least 10 years experience of working with a high degree of success, in a senior position in a Tertiary or Higher Education or Research institution;
- Have commitment to and substantial experience in networking, team building, fundraising/resource mobilization and participation in development activities, nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Have a demonstrable capacity to match the University’s Research and Development output as well as enterprise developments benefits to industry;
- Be able to identify, and promote the development and commercialization of emerging technologies to advance Zimbabwe’s industrialization and modernization;
- Have proven experience in national and international policy-making;
- Have demonstrable knowledge of the structural, legislative, and regulatory frameworks for managing higher education, science and technology development;
- Have proven management capacity including knowledge of public financial management, strategic people management and be able to generate financial support from both private and public sectors;
- Have the ability to foster strategic partnerships and harmonious working relationships between and among various University Stakeholders, staff, students, public and private organisations;
- Should be at least 40 years of age at the time of application.
He or she will be the chief administrative and financial officer of the University and shall:
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership to the University, maintain and promote research and innovation as well as ensure efficiency and good governance of the Institution;
- Initiate, propose, implement and monitor policies, systems and procedures in relation to all learning, research, innovation and administrative programmes of the University;
- Lead the development activities of the University, including fundraising and ensuring a high reputation and ranking of the University’s learning, research and innovation programme;
- Ensure that the University provides technological and engineering solutions to the surrounding community and the nation at large;
- Develop and maintain positive and progressive relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including the Council, the Senate, faculty, students, staff, alumni, community and national leaders, and funding agencies, other educational institutions, and officials in all levels of government within and outside the country;
- Attract the best high end skills for the University’s teaching, research and innovative staff and provide an enabling environment for the creation of technology driven start-ups and incubation of industries to generate income for the University and employment for its graduates;
- Ensure that the University has a diversified or mixed international students body and faculty;
- Ensure that the University has a state of the art cultural, recreation and sporting facilities.
REMUNERATION & CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The University offers:
- A negotiable attractive remuneration package in accordance with the University Terms and Conditions of Service;
- Medical Aid, Leave and Pension benefits;
- A five (5) year performance-related renewable contract.
Information on these and other benefits will be disclosed at the interview.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Expression of interest must be accompanied by certified copies of birth and academic certificates, as well as Curriculum Vitae giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, experience, present salary, date of availability, contact details, names and email addresses of three contactable referees addressed to:
The Chairman of Council
C/o The Registrar
National University of Science and Technology
Cnr Gwanda Road/ Cecil Avenue
P O Box AC 939
For any enquiries phone:
Tel: +263 9 284890/289057
Fax: +263 9 289057
Expressions of interest can be submitted by post, email or hand delivered to the Registrar’s Office. Expressions of interests should be received not later than Friday 8 December, 2017.